Dornier was founded by Claude Dornier. Born in Bavaria in 1884, Dornier graduated from the Technical University in Munich in 1907. Soon employed as a scientific adviser, Dornier began fundamental research and design. His early findings laid the cornerstone for the evolution of metal aircraft. As part of the Dornier team’s on-going research in aerospace technology, they discovered a previously unexplained phenomenon. Pitting was taking place on the surface of an aircraft as it approached the sound barrier – a unique occurrence caused by the shock wave created in front of a droplet of moisture. This finding, coupled with close collaboration among hospitals and Dornier’s development laboratories, resulted in the company’s invention of extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL®). To date, millions of people around the globe have been successfully treated using Dornier’s break-through discovery.
Dornier believes in fostering a culture of science, innovation and reliability in its people, products and services. These values serve as a compass that guide us towards meeting our everyday commitment of driving science and restoring health. Our values focus on:
- Leads with a high level of integrity and respect for people.
- Creates an environment where colleagues at all levels are able and expected to act in an open and honest way.
- Holds self and team accountable for collaborating to achieve the best results.
- Communicates vision and direction and enables team to get there.
- Working together to embrace multiple ideas and create better solutions.
- Shares own knowledge and is open to learning and feedback from others.
- Respect and value those we work with, and the contribution they make.
- Be accountable for failure as well as success and not to allocate blame. Takes ownership and responsibility for our actions and inaction.
- Create and provide solutions for clients and customers that balance the short and long term.
- Considers whether they are doing the right thing and acts with courage when faced with challenge.
- Open to new ideas and creates new thinking/action. Goes out of the box to explore innovative solutions and ideas, not stay on the narrow path.
- Strives to surpass clients’ and customers’ expectations. Ensures one finds way to have positive impact on customers, colleagues, and the external community.
- Seeks to make improvements to own work and others’ work and when appropriate, makes the fundamental changes.
- Sets increasingly high standards for self and team, while providing the support needed to achieve these.
- Demonstrates our high standards and values within the organization and to our customers in our products and services.
- Puts practices in place where great delivery and mistakes are shared, and everyone can learn from them.
- Providing products and services of the highest quality to all our internal and external customers.
Furthermore, as an organization we:
- Focus on needs of our patients, physicians, and partners.
- Listen to our customers and the market to stay ahead.
- We think locally and globally
- Are insatiably curious
- Inject a sense of urgency in everything we do
- Are open and responsive to change
- Remain responsive to change
- Work ethically and efficiently
- Reward our people for taking risks and finding better ways to solve problems.